Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     

Erika Schultes: Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Romania

Erika is at the Basarabi Cave Complex near  Murfatlar, Romania, which is a complex of small churches and tombs carved  into a chalk hill and dates back to the 9th century.
Erika is at the Basarabi Cave Complex near
Murfatlar, Romania, which is a complex of small churches and tombs carved
into a chalk hill and dates back to the 9th century.

Erika graduated from TCNJ with a BA in 2013. She entered into the 5-year English MA program and graduated in 2014.

Erika writes, “I am an English Teaching Assistant on a U.S. Student Fulbright Grant to Romania and have been living in Suceava, Romania from October 2014 until June 2015. I teach second and third year university students at Universitatea Ştefan cel Mare and high school students at Colegiul Național Petru Rareș. I have been teaching English in many contexts, from business and economics to environmental issues, from Hemingway to argumentative writing.”

What the Fulbright experience has allowed for:

Erika writes, “Engaging with my students in meaningful discussions has resulted in many opportunities to share perspectives across cultures, gender, beliefs, age, and backgrounds. The Romanian-U.S. Fulbright Commission and the United States Embassy have also provided various other teaching and learning opportunities around Romania.  I have traveled to Bucharest to present at a Think Tank on teaching U.S. culture with fellow ETAs, as well as to Bacau to lead seminars for high school students on contemporary American society and social issues.”

What have you appreciated the most?

Erika writes, “The most rewarding aspect of living and working in Romania has been the continuous opportunity to meet, befriend, and connect with Romanians and other Europeans.  Although I am here to teach, I have already learned so much about myself and my home by interacting with people and learning about our diverse similarities and differences. This experience has been nothing short of incredible so far.”

Follow Erika’s journey on Twitter @eschult